This is the story about how we welcomed our third daughter into our family. Tim and I welcomed Lucy Anna into this world on Tuesday, December 20, 2016 at 8:30 am. She entered this world weighing 6 pounds, 14 ounces and measured 19.75 inches in length. She is just as beautiful as her big sisters.
The days and weeks leading up to my planned c-section were mainly uneventful. Around Thanksgiving, I started experiencing Braxton-Hicks contractions and thought for sure I'd go into labor early as I did with Amelia and Clara. Lucy had other plans 😊.
I woke up early the morning of the 20th (well I hardly slept). Tim's mom arrived around 515am and we left for the hospital shortly thereafter. Tim wanted a coffee so, we stopped at Wawa. I enjoyed the quiet and still neess of the cold December morning. I knew this would be my last baby so, I was sure to take in every moment as we prepared for Lucy's birth.
I checked in at the front desk and was escorted to the labor prep room. I met my nurse and we bonded over our name as it's not very often I meet another Kathleen. She asked a series of questions, hooked me up to the monitors and informed me at 7am there would be a shift change. Tim and I had been through this before so, we felt comfortable with the upcoming procedure.
At 7am in walked nurse Sharon. I recognized her right away. She was my postpartum niesw with Clara. I remembered liking her a lot and felt at ease. Dr. Chastney arrived right on time at 745am to review the section with me. With his very social attitude, he joked about the John Carlin skit of the stars singing all I want for Christmas by Mariah Carey. For any of you who know Dr. Chastney, you can picture his bubbly personality discussing this.
At 7am in walked nurse Sharon. I recognized her right away. She was my postpartum niesw with Clara. I remembered liking her a lot and felt at ease. Dr. Chastney arrived right on time at 745am to review the section with me. With his very social attitude, he joked about the John Carlin skit of the stars singing all I want for Christmas by Mariah Carey. For any of you who know Dr. Chastney, you can picture his bubbly personality discussing this.
After my prep, I walked down the hall to the OR. Walking myself to the OR was a new experience for me. With my previous sections, I went into labor and naturally. Walking to the OR seemed surreal. So, here I go...just stepping up on a step stool ready to have my belly cut open. It was cold!!! Even though I had two other sections, I was scared! I kept trying to practice my deep breathing and picture myself on a mountain. I visualized chatting with my dad. Visualizing this calm and peaceful scene put my mind at ease.
Once they were setup to being the procedure, Tim entered the room. He held my hand and we talked about all the amazing things we have going on in life. It was a nice and memorable. Having a c-section is nerve wracking...it's a major surgery and with each one, I needed Tim to help me focus on other things.
And then at 830am I heard " she is absolutely beautiful! You guys made an adorable little girl". Words cannot do that moment justice. It was amazing. After Lucy was cleaned up, Tim left with her and the nurse to get situated in the postpartum room.
Shortly after my procedure was completed, I was wheeled to the recovery room where I wad reconnected with Lucy and Tim. Tim's parents were taking care of Amelia and Clara for the day so, Tim and I were able to relax a bit and enjoy the time with our new little one. I remember on Thursday a.m. I woke up and I turned on some Christmas music and I knew that it was going to be a great day I knew that if I set my mind to be positive and to avoid the external stressors the day would be great there was nothing I could stand in the way. Clara spent the afternoon with me and Lucy. We enjoyed watching some Christmas movies, playing games and eating cookies.
Shortly after my procedure was completed, I was wheeled to the recovery room where I wad reconnected with Lucy and Tim. Tim's parents were taking care of Amelia and Clara for the day so, Tim and I were able to relax a bit and enjoy the time with our new little one. I remember on Thursday a.m. I woke up and I turned on some Christmas music and I knew that it was going to be a great day I knew that if I set my mind to be positive and to avoid the external stressors the day would be great there was nothing I could stand in the way. Clara spent the afternoon with me and Lucy. We enjoyed watching some Christmas movies, playing games and eating cookies.
I was discharged on Friday my body was physically healing well I walked out of the hospital (without a wheelchair) with Clara, Lucy and Tim and we drove to Hillside to pick up Amelia. Our life as a family of five was beginning.
Christmas 2016 was very merry for us. We are excited to watch Lucy grow, learn and be a part of our family.
xoxo,
Kathleen
Christmas 2016 was very merry for us. We are excited to watch Lucy grow, learn and be a part of our family.
xoxo,
Kathleen


No comments:
Post a Comment