Happy 63rd Birthday!
Happy 63rd Birthday to my Dad in Heaven! Not a day goes by without us missing him.
This post is a way to share the memories of my dad with my daughters. I don't want this post to be a long rant about how tough life can be but rather focus on the positive of it. Yes I do miss my dad dearly and grieving his death has definitely given me different perspective. It has now been six years-six and a half to be exact and as I write this post I realize that I have many blessings and the blessings stem from my childhood. I wouldn't be the person I am today without the guidance that I have gotten from my dad. Was he perfect? Was he the president of the United States? Was he a saint? The answer to all those questions is no, but to me he was someone I admired. Every morning I wake up and I thank God that I have today I often think that my dad woke up on January 24th 2011 and knew it might have been his last unfortunately I'll never know for sure. But today on his 63rd birthday I smile and I think of the moments with peace and comfort.
I remember our drives to the Poconos. I remember meeting him for lunch just a few years back. I remember him ordering and iced tea and a hot dog from the vendor carts as we sat on a bench outside of the University of Pennsylvania and talked about life. I remember in college when I realized it did not want to be a bio major anymore and I was afraid to tell my dad because for 21 years I spoke about being a doctor he didn't discourage me and he didn't make me feel bad about my decision to change what he did was he helped me he went with me to meet with my College advisor and determine the best path two graduating and having sex with life I remember my dad always being there when I needed him most I spent two and a half years of going to classes downtown after work and to make my commute in the nighttime hours safe he would call me and talk to me as I walk to 30th Street Station I remember my last class on December 7th 2010 I was in a rush to get to the train station and I didn't call him until I had gotten there and he said to me Kathleen I was really hoping you would have called because I wanted to pick you up tonight and drive you home this may seem like such a small minor thing for me that was enough. I didn't need material things in life what I needed was to know that someone cared and that is exactly what I got from my dad those are the exact things that I mentioned above that I learned to carry with me as a parent what I want to do is provide my girls with the life knowing they have parents that are always there no matter what so today as we celebrate my dad's 63rd birthday I've raised a glass and I celebrate the hard-working man the life that he had the life that he create it for all of us and I say thank you for him the things I have today would not be possible.
Till me meet again, Papa xoxo

No comments:
Post a Comment